Every morning men and women wake up full of plans for the day. Every night those same people go to bed not having accomplished half of what they wanted to do or worse, didn’t get to it at all. To ensure a productive day, there are a few details to keep in mind.
1. While there’s no need to wake up at the crack of dawn, try to get up at a reasonable hour. You’ll feel more energetic and in better spirit than when you sleep late. Have a shower and get dressed. Some people like to work in their pajamas, but the fact is, sooner or later they will start to feel sluggish.
2. Have breakfast. Whether you like toast and a boiled egg, milk on cereal, or coffee and a muffin, anything is better than nothing. You’ll need food to sustain you.
3. If you like lists, write down the things you need to do and then prioritize them. Being able to cross one item after another off your list will motivate you to keep going.
4. If you know that you’re easily distracted, allow yourself to check your emails and social media messages first thing in the morning and then close those programs. Leaving them open will only tempt you to revisit those sites or worse, you’ll succumb to playing games.
5. If you’re prone to feeling lonely and crave social contact, try working from a public place such as a coffee shop, a park, or the library. Some people need a certain amount of noise around them for their creative juices to flow.
6. If you feel that your pets are a source of distraction, create an office space in your home that’s off limits to your furry friends. All too often work gets interrupted because you can’t resist petting your cat or taking the dog for a walk.
7. If you feel the need to take a break, leave your work for a while to take care of house chores, do some exercises, or go for a walk. If you feel tired, feel free to take a nap. Sleeping in the afternoon is not a sign of weakness; on the contrary, some people need more sleep than others and you’ll wake up feeling refreshed.
8. If you’re struggling on your own, ask for help. While you might prefer a physical companion, don’t underestimate the presence of online support. Chances are someone is struggling with the same thing you’re having difficulties with, has experience with that problem, or is going through something similar right now. Once you open up, you might get flooded with support.
9. At the end of the day, be proud of what you’ve accomplished. Don’t focus on the things you didn’t get to but congratulate yourself on what you did do. Expecting too much of yourself is the quickest way to kill productivity. The most important thing is to keep trying.
Even if you didn’t start, continue or finish a project today, try again tomorrow. As long as you keep trying, you’ll get there.
No blog post found.